Monday, July 26, 2010

So Far

The statement "I write for a living" is actually saying a lot more than the obvious. For example, it also means either A) I am successful and well known and support myself, my family, and my beautiful golden retreiver with my creative work, B) I have a day job, C) I am so depressed because nobody understands my genius WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH oooh is that alcohol I see over there?

I am obviously option A.

What "I write for a living" is also saying is that I think I have something to say. Which is slightly pretentious, no? Take any man off of the street. In fact, take this man. His name is Dave, and he is a door to door salesman. Dave likes kitty cats, his wife, HBO, and long walks on the beach. What makes me so big headed to think that what I have to say is more important than something that Dave, this random fellow, has to say?

Well, first of all, I actually do have a big head. Hats just don't fit me. So there's my excuse right there.

Second, Dave rings doorbells and annoys people, trying to sell his shit. Don't you just hate that? Fuck Dave.

Also, despite the merits of kitty cats, wives (well, some wives), and HBO, Dave still sucks. Because Dave is cliche. Thing is, he doesn't really like long walks on the beach. Sand hurts his feet. In fact, he outright hates the beach. He just said that he likes walks on the beach because it's something to say.

And me? A writer? I'd never just say something to say something. Everything I write is planned. Nothing is random. Chopsticks, badger, Boy George.

I'll be using this blog to post short stories, give updates on my writing career, and also babble. I like to babble.

--

As a sort of starting point, here's what I've done so far.

THEATRE

Staged reading of The Ruler of the Chocolatey Universe (ten minute play) at Molloy for the New Faces Festival. Feb 2009.

Staged reading of Inpregnito (one act play) at Molloy for the New Faces Festival. Feb 2009.

Staged reading of Soft Serve (one act play) at the Spoon Theatre (NYC) for producer Kimberlyn Crawford's Shhhh... Let's Talk About Sex festival. April 2009.

Staged reading of The Misadventures of Olive Sukkin (full length) at the Arclight Theatre (NYC). Producer Kimberlyn Crawford. Sept 2009.

The Ruler of the Chocolatey Universe (ten minute play). Published in the Molloy Literary Magazine. Fall 2009. Featured author.

Staged reading of The Misadventures of Olive Sukkin (full length) at the Arclight Theatre (NYC). Test for production (aiming for July 2011). Producer Kimberlyn Crawford. Feb 2010.

Solid Mechanics (ten minute play) as a part of the Three Monos Ensemble's MINUTES BEFORE festival. Directed by Dennis A. Allen II. Feb 2010.

H2-Zero (full length) at Molloy College for Earth Week. Directed by Laura Willis. April 2010. After graduating Molloy, I was approached by the folks putting together the program and asked to write a play for them. It was a great experience.

FILM

Besiegement! (feature film) Written & directed by Patrick Shand & Steven Wisnowski. Starring Patrick Shand, Steven Wisnowski, Kellyn Lindsay, Nigel Beckles, Jeff Zide Brown, Jodi Van Der Horn-Gibson, Claudia Avellan, & more. Coming to festivals 2011.

Many short films you can watch at http://www.youtube.com/stinkyburger


PROSE

Road Test (short story) Published in the Molloy Literary Magazine. Fall 2008.

Carnies in Love Published in the Molloy Literary Magazine. Spring 2009.

Uber Chick vs. the Financial Crisis (short story) Published in the Molloy Literary Magazine. Fall 2009. Featured author.

--

Now, as far as what I hope to do...

PUBLISH short stories in literary magazines

PUBLISH my novel Lefty

RELEASE Besiegement!

Get more plays produced.

Break into the comic book industry.

--

PS: Dave, if you're reading this, I'd like to remind you how much I hate you. Go sell a blender. I wish many long walks on the beach upon you!


No comments:

Post a Comment